fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/29/bmws-alexa-integration-gets-it-right/

Reading between the lines, BMW does not have these servers in AWS. Lots of interesting side questions, like where BMW puts the data, does it go overseas? EU rules are very very different around privacy. In fact adoption of AWS in varying European countries have their own challenges. I don't know how deep BMW has gone into the cloud - the transformation is very hard for organizations, but there should be no lag in user experience - this can be designed out.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is a good question, but I'd suspect that BMW sets up domestic servers, no reason for them to cause such a huge latency problem by sending it all over the globe.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is a good question, but I'd suspect that BMW sets up domestic servers, no reason for them to cause such a huge latency problem by sending it all over the globe.
I would assume they are domestic as well, likely old school in a colo. The legal stuff is a PITA when this kind of data starts to move across country boundaries. I would not be surprised if the AWS team is working with BMW on some cloud compute projects. I suppose I could ask them. The Alexa integration is the perfect example of a project that can drive such a technological transformation. If BMW goes down that journey their minds will be blown when the start to realize how they can think about many things in a completely different way.

Filippo

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
And with the black boxed monitoring/transmitting all sorts of data out of our cars - how long till a privacy waiver is part of the purchasing agreement? Insurance company wanting that data is not too far out there right now....

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
To heck with integration, my wife is already wanting the Echo Auto Amazon just announced.

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
And with the black boxed monitoring/transmitting all sorts of data out of our cars - how long till a privacy waiver is part of the purchasing agreement? Insurance company wanting that data is not too far out there right now....

Not worried about the insurance companies. What California wants to do with OBDIII is much scarier. http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/093_...atements/sema/sema_obd_frequent_questions.htm

WHAT IS OBD-III?
A program to minimize the delay between detection of an emissions malfunction by the OBD-II system and repair of the vehicle
  • Read stored OBD-II information from in-use vehicles.
  • Direct owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate repairs
Roadside Pullover
  • CHP flags down vehicles with fault codes
  • Technician verifies problem by inspecting and/or testing vehicle
  • Issuance of notice requiring out-of-cycle inspection

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Turns the average person into a criminal.

Rapist, murderers, thieves and car enthusiasts. All them need to be in jail....

Then you got some people that will say, "well you shouldn't have broke the law then"