BorgWarner eBooster

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
When does this thing go on sale? It seems like a pretty simple solution if you can deal with the extra weight of a battery. No more lag and no need for a trans brake or crazy stalls.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
From my understanding this is how they explained the new M3 is supposed to be last time I was at school

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think I read it say that it works on a 48v system, so not quite hybrid/EV territory at 200v+. I'm curious how they intend to regeneratively charge this battery without being an EV or hybrid. So maybe it will be

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I think I read it say that it works on a 48v system, so not quite hybrid/EV territory at 200v+. I'm curious how they intend to regeneratively charge this battery without being an EV or hybrid. So maybe it will be

If you look at the flow of the air intake path there would be a clear path of airflow to push the ebooster in rotation to regen the battery. My guess is the bypass valve probably controls this regen capability.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Interesting point, as that wouldn't require any major changes. Do you think the fin design of the compressor would be efficient enough in reverse flow? To me, the way the fins angle would cause nothing but turbulence and there would have to be a pretty major restriction for something like air to overcome the magnets. Obviously not an electromagnet expert, but thats what comes to mind.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Interesting point, as that wouldn't require any major changes. Do you think the fin design of the compressor would be efficient enough in reverse flow? To me, the way the fins angle would cause nothing but turbulence and there would have to be a pretty major restriction for something like air to overcome the magnets. Obviously not an electromagnet expert, but thats what comes to mind.

I have no clue, but I do know that when you use a motor as a generator you can vary the physical resistance by limiting the amount of power you put into the batteries. A good motor controller should be able to vary resistance from freewheel all the way to extremely difficult to spin.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I have no clue, but I do know that when you use a motor as a generator you can vary the physical resistance by limiting the amount of power you put into the batteries. A good motor controller should be able to vary resistance from freewheel all the way to extremely difficult to spin.

I figured as much but did not know that. Makes me wonder if it would make just about as much sense to have a special alternator that can power the 12v and 48v electrical systems somehow. Either stepping power up or down to accommodate perhaps.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Hmm, travel back in time over decade ago when Thomas Knight was pushing E-superchargers. and was making power. This stuff is NOTHING new. they just added a mobile app

EDIT: good thing about this is better compressor choices with Borg Warner.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I remember something like that... But it wasn't very practical. Hopefully with the 48v systems these things can recharge quicker, in fact this may be a good application of super capacitors.