CSF Radiator Long Term Review

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Have had the CSF Radiator for almost two years. Has been functioning normal, not really any difference in temps over the year since ECU controls the pump cycles. However, just today two months before the two year warranty is reached... I found two leaks in the core. I thought it was one of my hoses or connectors leaking so I replaced them...but nothing fixed it. I took my intercooler off and fan off to double check and sure enough the welds on the fins were compromised, leaking from deep in the lining out onto the intercooler top down to the splash shield and on the garage floor.
left side seams.jpg
right side.jpg

So... today's lesson, stick with BMW radiator until the plastic nubs go crack. Because they go crack long after two years...when I upgraded my stock radiator it was 7 yrs old and still good. So much for CSF.

I ordered a stock radiator from FCP Euro in the meantime while I deal with the CSF warranty process. And I will give them another chance, but if the new unit leaks in two years... ya'll know they suck.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Apparently CSF has a history of the same type of defects on many of their radiator models for other cars. I had no idea as I never thought to google them before.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Sorry to hear but glad you shared as I was considering a radiator "upgrade". What about mishimoto?

Don't know about them. Have heard bad things also. At least csf and ecstuning have good service. Ecs has already sent RMA.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
My data shows you don't need an upgraded radiator for street use, and for track use the csf radiator is waaay too small unless you detune the n54. I see no reasons to invest in this product. None. Go custom or stick to oem.

• Informative
Reactions: JBacon335

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Well this is interesting as I was also considering this radiator even tho my 12 year old one isn't leaking.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
My data shows you don't need an upgraded radiator for street use, and for track use the csf radiator is waaay too small unless you detune the n54. I see no reasons to invest in this product. None. Go custom or stick to oem.

I believe the csf unit shows benefits if you choose the 'track' or 'sport' option for the pump cycles in MHD.

If you chose those options with a stock radiator, it would not yield as much benefits.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I can't decide to reinstall or sell the new replacement unit. If I sell, it would be $400 plus shipping if anyone is interested. By Friday, if I don't get any bites, I will go ahead and install and see how it does with the MHD track setting.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Did you order a mt unit ? I believe a stock mt is a substantial upgrade over an auto unit in itself and I think you have separate tranny cooler right?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did you order a mt unit ? I believe a stock mt is a substantial upgrade over an auto unit in itself and I think you have separate tranny cooler right?

There is a hose that connects to the oil cooler in the passenger side. The driver side hose is cut and sealed. Otherwise I would have gotten the manual unit.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I hope mine holds up. I had it painted with cerekote thermal enhancement paint.
Do you have a link to the product you used? Only things I can find on their site or protective coatings and thermal barrier coatings. I can’t find anything that is for aiding in heat extraction.