Info on aftermarket units for IDrive

Jboyorak

Private
Nov 6, 2016
Maine
Currently, I have the CIC IDrive unit. For those who haven't experienced it, this idrive leaves a lot to be desired. Way outdated display, navigation uses a dvd, and really not a super user friendly interface.

I have many times thought of upgrading it to the NBT and CCC setup. I have a hard time justifying the costs for what you get.

Then comes along units like what https://avinusa.com offers. These seem to be reasonably priced, and have a lot of features to offer.

How many of our members have swapped to this type of setup?
Of the people who have this installed, how does the actual functionally compare to the native idrive?
Do these units have access to the factory service/maintence/warning lights?

Reactions: Lieug

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I received the AVIN unit today for E Chassis CIC. More information will come soon.
20170920_105801.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Probably this weekend. I'm helping make the install guide for Avin so I'll need to make some time.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Touch screen too?
Very interested for CCC...it's an option on the AVIN website.
Watching thread!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nah, its like the xcarlink basically. You can switch back and forth between Android and CIC. My only gripe is that its only Android 4.4 and 1GB ram, so not a powerhouse by any means.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
tis is pretty cool.i have ccc and would definitely do this.unless im reading their site wrong it says it can display current sensor data through:
WiFi OBD2 - Torque Compatible
Display current sensor data, including:
- Engine RPM
- Calculated Load Value
- Coolant Temperature
- Fuel System Status
- Vehicle Speed
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Intake Manifold Pressure
- Timing Advance
- Intake Air Temperature
- Air Flow Rate
- Absolute Throttle Position
- Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
- Fuel System status
- Fuel Pressure
- Many others...

So if you can turn the screen into a GTR look control that would be awesome.Looking forward to your install doublespaces.Also how compatible this is with say a JB4.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Can this be changed or upgraded?

No, I've wasted about 7 or 8 hours tracing this thing all the way up to the manufacturer and there is no public information of them releasing a new unit, and these boxes use a Rockchip RK3188 SoC so everything is combined. Not going to happen realistically.

tis is pretty cool.i have ccc and would definitely do this.unless im reading their site wrong it says it can display current sensor data through:
So if you can turn the screen into a GTR look control that would be awesome.Looking forward to your install doublespaces.Also how compatible this is with say a JB4.

I've never used the torque app, but I've heard the refresh rate on it sucks, so yes, it can get gauges on your iDrive screen wirelessly, but its probably best suited for things like temps which do not change very rapidly. Luckily, temps are almost solely what I use the gauges for, and also glancing at peak boost figures. Boost, Trans temp and IAT are really the only useful gauges for me, as Coolant and oil are displayed on my steering wheel. If I didn't use that steering wheel screen, then realistically I've got five useful gauges, and I've found with the xcarlink that six gauges fit nicely on our screen, 3 top and bottom. So perhaps I'll add one more gauge on there and see how it works. I'd like to try flashing with the android portion, but I'm just not sure how motivated I am to also run the OBD cable behind the dash, PITA.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
In theory, being an Android based device, you could run MHD or JB4 mobile program?
That is correct. Should is the key word. There are two entirely different products. One is an android idrive screen and one is an android radio, with a screen.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
No, I've wasted about 7 or 8 hours tracing this thing all the way up to the manufacturer and there is no public information of them releasing a new unit, and these boxes use a Rockchip RK3188 SoC so everything is combined. Not going to happen realistically.

I've never used the torque app, but I've heard the refresh rate on it sucks, so yes, it can get gauges on your iDrive screen wirelessly, but its probably best suited for things like temps which do not change very rapidly. Luckily, temps are almost solely what I use the gauges for, and also glancing at peak boost figures. Boost, Trans temp and IAT are really the only useful gauges for me, as Coolant and oil are displayed on my steering wheel. If I didn't use that steering wheel screen, then realistically I've got five useful gauges, and I've found with the xcarlink that six gauges fit nicely on our screen, 3 top and bottom. So perhaps I'll add one more gauge on there and see how it works. I'd like to try flashing with the android portion, but I'm just not sure how motivated I am to also run the OBD cable behind the dash, PITA.

Yeah,i think still for us guys with CCC Nav that this might still be a good improvement.it looks like it offers alot more and more flexibility.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I've got all the xcarlink parts for my CCC nav, Android computer, backup camera, etc but still haven't had enough free time to do the install. Now I'm wondering whether to drop that project in favor of this touch screen. .