M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
found some time to test CC while driving today, kind of hard to test it with so many cars around
i changed my VO back to 544 and default coded kombi, CC stalk works as if the car was coded for 540 but no CC info shows on kombi

also, i noticed 540 CC doesnt work the same as 544, you have to press the button on the side of the CC stalk to engage CC, push the stalk to speed up, pull up or down to cancel. pullling the stalk gives me mixed results, sometimes it will decrease the CC speed, sometimes it doesnt do anything....

i suspect the 1m/m3 firmware doesnt have the logic to handle DCC hence M3 only got 540...
too bad i cant flash back to non-m to test and confirm...
i am still thinking if i should go down the LDM route...its not hard to install hardware wise but i have no idea if coding it will be a challenge

thanks for confirming the 0x399 M toggle, 0x4EDD3 for IKM0S was mentioned by @KClemente above....
i have it enabled already as well, i am on the latest beta mhd from google play store
the only thing i havent tried is doing a full write to ensure the flag gets written in

i guess i really need to log the mhd parameters to troubleshoot and worst case, throw a datalogger on pt-can to see if the 0x399 messages are actually being sent by the dme.......hope i dont need to resort to a datalogger as i took mine apart and reused some of the parts for my sim racing pedals........

i will continue playing with this on and off if when i can.... but life is going to get busy again soon :(

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
m3 cluster, m3 dsc module, m3 dsc firmware, 540 cruise control

it works, but it doesnt always engage the first time i push the cc stalk.

Screenshot_2023-08-31-14-57-22-936_com.miui.gallery.jpg

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Looks good, at least you have that much. My CC doesn't work at all no matter what I do with buttons. If it bothered me enough, I'd just swap the stock Kombi back, but I rarely used it anyway.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Looks good, at least you have that much. My CC doesn't work at all no matter what I do with buttons. If it bothered me enough, I'd just swap the stock Kombi back, but I rarely used it anyway.

well i still miss 544 for the cruise control logic...540 is scary to use if there is any traffic around you....
still contemplating whether i should mess around and add a ldm and somehow code my way through this if its even possible...

anyways.... finally wired up the dsc button end to end...i fought with the stupid button box module connector for almost an hour to get it open... every time i pried it it feels like it wants to break apart.... i ended up swapping pin 1 which had the jbbf dsc off signal with the pin 41 dsc off button from dsc

the other pin connected to the button goes to ground

PXL_20230904_234842989.jpg

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
quick log, seems my switch press isnt getting recognized
CW_SPORT_SZL, LC_VAR_SPT_SWI set to 1
K_SPORT_MDRV_DSC set to 4

looks like i need to somehow get st_mdrv_taster to 2 for everything to run, i will look at it again tomorrow
https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/m-drive-and-mdm-in-non-m-cars.7155/post-106980

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yep, nothing will work until MDrive button is working and pushed. CW SPORT SZL is 760C1 on IK, make sure it's enabled (should be by default on IK IIRC). Taster status will be 2 while button is pressed if everything is working and coded correctly.

If SZL is enabled in IK, there's still a problem somewhere. The SZL you have is for an MDrive car, right? There's another lv_bn param that shows if there's an error causing it to not work, I'll see if I can dig it up, but it's obviously not working lol

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Never mind, you have it on there and I see it goes to 1 near the end of the log. I also see the variant for sport switch on is good.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Yep, nothing will work until MDrive button is working and pushed. CW SPORT SZL is 760C1 on IK, make sure it's enabled (should be by default on IK IIRC). Taster status will be 2 while button is pressed if everything is working and coded correctly.

If SZL is enabled in IK, there's still a problem somewhere. The SZL you have is for an MDrive car, right? There's another lv_bn param that shows if there's an error causing it to not work, I'll see if I can dig it up, but it's obviously not working lol

1694685889820.png

yes i have a m3 mdrive szl, i remember seeing my dme throwing a code about unrecognized message 0x1D9 a long time ago so it WAS working before i started messing around...

also, i havent seen this code for a while and i don't even remember if this happened before or after i swapped and coded to a m3 dsc module

since the timeout value is going up and lv_err_bn_spt_swi gets triggered after ~10 seconds, i suspect my szl is not advertising the correct canbus message (ID 0x1D9)

easiest way to troubleshoot this is to throw a canbus logger on pt-can to look at the message but i need to build one from scratch since i reused the parts in other projects...

so, i am going to see if i can get lucky by reflashing + recode the dsc module which should take care of the szl as well

edit: i was googling and found an old post of mine, i think this mightve happened because i default coded my jbbf to m3.

edit 2: recoded jbbf to non m, 0x1d9 code from dme is back...

Screenshot_2023-09-14-19-19-49-576_com.mhd.flasher.n54.jpg

Attachments

• 1610451550506-png.png
    1610451550506-png.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
That would seem to indicate the message is there then, but MDrive not activating.

I think M3 Kombi has it off and 1M Kombi has it on, but do you have the MDrive monitor/alive/checksum active in Kombi? I don't think it's needed, but may try for the heck of it.

Are you default coding or custom coding modules and what do have in your VO?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
i am finally back with a canbus logger :)

0x399 has the mdrive active bit enabled per the activation flag from rom
but.... i am missing the 0x1D9 message on PT-CAN which would explain why lv_err_bn_spt_swi got triggered
the wording of the dme error code totally threw me off....
my guess is most likely the jbbf is not translating the message/letting the message through or my szl is not coded properly (kind of unlikely as i can only get things to code properly when i use a M3 VO)

fwiw, i am running a non-m VO on my CAS and M3 VO on my FRM just so i can code my M3 DSC properly
i dont remember what VO i am running on my JBBF though

since im 6MT and have a M3 DCT cluster, i am very inclined to just go with superwoofys module so i can get the shiftlights to work

edit:
coded my dsc again (i can only code it as m3 since i am running a real m3 dsc), didn't work
coded my jbbf to m3, didnt do anything

edit2:
i reread parts of this post and some memory came back
1. if you switch to a real m3 dsc module, you will need to change VO in one of your CAS/FRM modules to properly code it
2. if you switch to a real m3 dsc module, ista-d doesnt know the car has a m3 dsc so service functions to bleed brakes or bleed abs won't work, dsc yaw calibration and szl steering angle reset works though
3. i also figured out why i was getting more parameters in protools for my dsc compared to ncsdummy, protools is buggy when using different VO between modules. however, since coding config is converted to nettodat before it gets fed to the dsc so thats why some of the settings not seen in ncsdummy for mk60_m3 can still be coded in (eg. hill start, brake assist)

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Sorry for such a late reply.
Yes, weirdly, I indeed used KCAN for sending 0x206 messages, I remember it seemed weird at the moment too.
no worries, thanks for confirming. i didnt get anything when i sent 0x206 through pt-can so the packet didnt get forwarded to kcan by jbbf

i just finished wiring everything up and stuffed it into a box.... now i just need to find the time to wire it into the car and test it
thanks!