Recommend turbo wheels for my stocker rebuild

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
My wastegates are rattling pretty bad at this point, so I think I might pull them for a rebuild and stuff in some bigger wheels while I'm at it. I thought about using turbo lab, but recently heard some bad things, plus I would have to mail my turbos out. There are a few companies in Houston that rebuild and vsr balance but I need to know what spec wheels to buy. I'd like to make 500-550 whp and be able to pull to redline. What do you guys think I should do?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What is your budget and do you really need to retain the twin turbo configuration?

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
I don't really have a budget, per se. I just figure out what I want, how much it will cost, and make it happen. I don't want to mess with pi and I have easy access to e85 thus the 500 (or so) goal. I have seen it done a few times with stock frames, I just don't want to show up at a machine shop without knowing specs of wheels I will need.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Turbos are pretty cheap these days sir so we'd recommend picking a reputable known vendor, one who ideally has their own EXCELLENT turbo machinery equipment and experience to do this right for you. Machine work is critical, sure, but it is also only about 25% of the challenge; the bigger portion is for expensive machinery that many do not have... or rather MOST do not have. That is unless you have twenties of hours free to do things over again in short order in the name of science, fun, gambling, and/or enjoyment of re-do's.

Rob

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was thinking I could have my turbos redone with bigger wheels on my own since we have so many resources here where I live. I would rather do it that way so if they start smoking or fail. I could drive them over to the company that built them. I'm not in a huge rush, maybe I'll just crank up the boost, and see if something catches my interest before they die.