Stuck Head Bolts...anyone else had this issue?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
I'm in the middle of tearing down an N54 I bought as a motor to rebuild. I'm in the process of pulling the head of. I've got all of the head bolts out except one of the rear 9mm bolts that takes the T50 socket. I broke the fist T50 using a breaker bar. Then I tried an impact with another T50 impact socket...and it just stripped out the inside of the head. Then I tried one of the sockets that grips the outside of a stripped nut head to get it out..and that just spun right off.

I'm going to get out my Mig welder tomorrow and weld a nut to the T50 head...and I'm sure it will come out then. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue with seized up head bolts? All the rest just zipped right out with my 1/2" impact gun.....but that last one in the rear corner is being a royal pain!!

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I think you're supposed to crack them all slightly before removing, like the reverse of install. If you remove them completely then the last bolt has all of the tension.

I think doing it the way you are also risks damaging the head by warping it with the last remaining bolt.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
I'm pretty sure the head is already trashed from the piston that came apart. But good point...I probably should have started with the outside bolts and worked my way in. I guess I'll get to see what a welded on Nut will do to it :grinning:

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Well, got that bolt out no problem. Pretty much found what I thought I would. This is a 5 cylinder :grimacing:

iFe3lub.jpg

zF1aDsl.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Torgus and wheela