What direction should I take my E61?

regular_car_fella

Mar 12, 2024
Mankato MN or Woodinville WA
Ride
2010 BMW 535i xdrive touring
So with what is currently going on with my car I've had to do some thinking on what I want to do with it. I've already decided to take out the front drivetrain and swap to RWD using xdelete for now. I have however had the thoughts of making more power and I can't imagine that the stock 6hp19 is going to be terribly happy at some increased power (500-550whp). One side of this is how I will be getting to that power with either a single turbo kit built by a guy up in Minneapolis, or go upgraded twins and keep the low down torque. Then there is the side of the drivetrain where I could do what some of the other members have done and swap in a manual box from a RWD 535i or 335i, or do a newer conversion of a RWD 8HP70 transmission from an N57 car. I do drive this thing everyday, but it isn't my only mode of transport. Granted, this is for far future planning and none of it will be happening soon, but I'm curious if any other forum members have done similar things with their car and what your experiences are.

Thanks!

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Just my opinion. But if i would have the possibility i would stay AWD and switch to 8HP.
Then just see what makes the stock turbos happy and stay there. Once you want more, you have an amazing awd 8hp and can just slap on some upgraded turbos and call it a day. (whatever comes with upgraded turbos. Will it be PI or WMI).

Reactions: Slowagon54

regular_car_fella

Mar 12, 2024
Mankato MN or Woodinville WA
Ride
2010 BMW 535i xdrive touring
Just my opinion. But if i would have the possibility i would stay AWD and switch to 8HP.
Then just see what makes the stock turbos happy and stay there. Once you want more, you have an amazing awd 8hp and can just slap on some upgraded turbos and call it a day. (whatever comes with upgraded turbos. Will it be PI or WMI).
I would stay AWD if the front axles allowed for it, but i really like my wagon when its low and have had good results in bad conditions while it was just in RWD. I do think upgraded twins will be the move though :D