What's the consensus on Spool Max RPM?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
So what's the consensus on Spool Max RPM?
I've been experimenting a little with Spool Max RPM. I understand stock is 2600 and my tunes for the last year until yesterday were set to 2,750. I think this is all in connection with "lean spool" to help stock turbos spool up quickly when EGTs are higher for lamda > 14.7. Some suggest avoid "lean spool" altogether and set SpoolMax RPM to 500. Others say keep it, but don't go over 2600 *(stock). Others have said to increase it to 3000 and/or to richen AFR during spool.
What do you tuning experts say?

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
So what's the consensus on Spool Max RPM?
I've been experimenting a little with Spool Max RPM. I understand stock is 2600 and my tunes for the last year until yesterday were set to 2,750. I think this is all in connection with "lean spool" top help stock turbos spool up quickly when EGTs are higher for lamda > 14.7. Some suggest avoid "lean spool" altogether and set SpoolMax RPM to 500. Others say keep it, but don't go over 2600 *(stock). Others have said to increase it to 3000 and/or to richen AFR during spool.
What do you tuning experts say?
I think most of the spool mode RPM changes revolve around boost target and maybe WGDC, but there are almost certainly undefined spool tables at play too. Since you're scaled and using RPMxSetpoint logic though, I'm not sure much of it really applies. If you want to reduce spool time though, consider revisiting your VANOS settings.

As for lean spool, probably best to try both, but I'm not a fan of the stock lean spool mode (neither is my car). I'd dial in the spool AFRs manually and try both ways. Mine was consistently higher VD in that range with it richer no matter what else I tried, but mine seems to go against the grain.

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
Spool mode max RPM should match and fall inline with the cars turbo setup

Jeff, this is what i was saying the other day about extending spool mode max rpm for larger turbo cars.

Stock turbo cars I run spool mode out to 3000. I make sure that it blends with non spool mode tables when exiting. I've run spool mode out to 3500ish on gc lite cars.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Jeff, this is what i was saying the other day about extending spool mode max rpm for larger turbo cars.

Stock turbo cars I run spool mode out to 3000. I make sure that it blends with non spool mode tables when exiting. I've run spool mode out to 3500ish on gc lite cars.
So far, 3,000 rpm max Spool is working really well for my stockers. I blended the spool tables at exit (3,000 rpm x Load matching values) with timing, VANOS, and AFR for smooth transitions. My spool tables skip 1,000 rpm and include 2750 rpm along with leaner AFR with the lean spool toggle turned off.

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
So far, 3,000 rpm max Spool is working really well for my stockers. I blended the spool tables at exit (3,000 rpm x Load matching values) with timing, VANOS, and AFR for smooth transitions. My spool tables skip 1,000 rpm and include 2750 rpm along with leaner AFR with the lean spool toggle turned off.

nice man, sounds like a good setup!

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
I8AOS stock spool max rpm is 3000.

Seen some TD04s doing between 2750-3000.

But it also depends on how much boost you you are trying to target ...

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I guess ever since Philly lost its Shell E85 source last year I've been doing whatever I can to replicate that power with 93 octane. So I went from 18 psi E60 tune to a 23 psi 93 Octane tune on my stock turbos / nearly FBO (sans DP). XHP Stage 3 is a really nice improvement too.