Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
Well, damn, I fell for one.
I'm usually pretty keen on detecting a scam, but this one caught me off guard and I fell for it.
So, I'll sacrifice my pride a little bit and let whoever I can know to not fall for the same trap.

I thought I was getting a decent deal on a used part from this profile on Instagram. The profile had well over 1K followers, and the guy answered my questions like I would expect anyone on this forum to. If I asked for an additional picture, he was able to send one, etc., etc., He asked for my address so he could calculate total price with shipping and everything. Shipping price made sense (Supposedly from Denver to Dallas), so I felt pretty comfortable sending over the couple hundred dollars via cash app. Communication continued after the payment, dude sent a pic of the part all boxed up and said he was shipping it out.

Then about 30 mins later he hit me up on IG messenger and says he's at "the shipping place" and needs $200 for shipping and can I send it now so he can send it on its way.

It Was At This Moment He Knew... He Fucked Up​

Instantly I was like, damn. I told homeboy sorry, but you already gave me a price that included shipping when I gave you my address.
Told him to just go ahead and refund me the money for the part (yeah, I know, I was dreaming), because I didn't have an extra $200 for shipping. Of course I never got the refund and CashApp's solution is to just constantly dump salt in the wound by telling me to watch out for scams, ya think CashApp, thanks for the help turds.

Anyway, I did a search on here and didn't see any other lists so I figured I would start one regarding known Instagram scammers.
If you encounter any IG Scammers post a comment and I'll try to copy them here to the original post. If you have scams for other platforms, I would start a new post for each so it's easier to keep up with the lists.

So, I guess I'll tuck my tail and get this list started. By all means feel free to heckle these scammers by following them and posting something along the lines of "They scammed a buddy of mine." on every post (Because we all know no one wants to admit they were the one scammed :tearsofjoy:).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wheela

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
Paypal is the only way you should be paying for goods online, that need to get shipped to you. They're consumer protection is good.

Yeah, I agree. I assumed CashApp was similar (I don't use it much) and learned the hard way that not all financial apps have consumer protections built in. I actually looked up what the federally mandated protections are that financial institutions are required to provide. When it gets to un-authorized transactions it starts to become a grey area. CashApp's (and many other's) loop-hole for doing diddly is that if you knowingly send money then it's not considered "un-authorized", and they don't have to offer you any protection. And with the law like that why would they, consumer protection and support take time and effort that eats into their profits.

I would argue that a transaction that occurs by manipulation should be considered un-authorized. Whether you stole my debit card and made a purchase, or lied to me to make a fake purchase, in the end the result is the same; you stole money from me.

Lol so this is where you guys get to tell me to, "Write my congressman" about changing the law. Well, you're in luck, I plan on it. 🗣️

Reactions: wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Yeah, I agree. I assumed CashApp was similar (I don't use it much) and learned the hard way that not all financial apps have consumer protections built in. I actually looked up what the federally mandated protections are that financial institutions are required to provide. When it gets to un-authorized transactions it starts to become a grey area. CashApp's (and many other's) loop-hole for doing diddly is that if you knowingly send money then it's not considered "un-authorized", and they don't have to offer you any protection. And with the law like that why would they, consumer protection and support take time and effort that eats into their profits.

I would argue that a transaction that occurs by manipulation should be considered un-authorized. Whether you stole my debit card and made a purchase, or lied to me to make a fake purchase, in the end the result is the same; you stole money from me.

Lol so this is where you guys get to tell me to, "Write my congressman" about changing the law. Well, you're in luck, I plan on it. 🗣️
They didn't steal it if you willingly handed it over

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i

Can you technically still chargeback?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
I disagree, I gave a person money for a product, I never received the product. They refused to refund the money, that is stealing.
I get what you're saying. Believe me I am more on your side than the dick head who scammed you.
The legal definition of stealing however..... is basically taking something from you without your consent. Hence why I said it's not stealing if you willfully handed it over.

But carry on......

Reactions: Boorda

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
I get what you're saying. Believe me I am more on your side than the dick head who scammed you.
The legal definition of stealing however..... is basically taking something from you without your consent. Hence why I said it's not stealing if you willfully handed it over.

But carry on......

Oh I agree with you there, that's why I was saying the legal definition should probably be updated.
These laws were mostly conceived back in the late 70's and haven't been updated much since, well before the idea of digital transactions and the slew of scams that exist online today.

I image any of us that went on eBay and paid for a product would consider it stealing if the seller never shipped the product and refused to offer a refund. Why shouldn't the law and-or standards be the same for any platform?

Reactions: SlowE93

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Oh I agree with you there, that's why I was saying the legal definition should probably be updated.
These laws were mostly conceived back in the late 70's and haven't been updated much since, well before the idea of digital transactions and the slew of scams that exist online today.

I image any of us that went on eBay and paid for a product would consider it stealing if the seller never shipped the product and refused to offer a refund. Why shouldn't the law and-or standards be the same for any platform?
Exactly.....write to your....

• Funny

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
One tried to scam me the other day on facebook and has been there for 6 years, what they do is hijack another persons account and put lots of sales up before they realise or facebook does, when I said i can do pickup even though he was in my town he said he was in melbourne and when I said thats ok i'm there this weekend can I pick up he said he has family over so cant meet me.

I told he not to worry about it and then the begging started to send him the money as he needs it and even given me a false address LOL.

Unless you can do pickup on social media of any kind stay clear.

Last edited:
  • Funny

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport

Maybe it doesn't meet the strict defenition of stealing, but he defrauded you. It's fraud, it's a crime.

• Agree
Reactions: martymil and Boorda