LMB 650 is coming alive

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
I wanted to raise my rear subframe by ~10mm until I realized that my 80mm OD CFK driveshaft will then foul the e-brake cables and cause me no end of pain and suffering for just 5.6mm of actual roll center correction (due to having to lower the spring perches again unless you're running true coilovers). Just a quick heads up for those of you who are considering it. Stock driveshaft should be fine though

Quick order of magnitude #s here, front roll center height varies by approx 2.2mm per mm of ride height delta, whereas the rear only varies by ~1:1

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

Rear Spring Arm Inner Bearing Upgrade​

So i am too cheap to buy that kit like you can buy from Bimmerworld. As i am changing every bearing on my subframe i thought, order them at least OEM new.
As i filled my motor mounts with PU i thought to do the same to these bearings but would need harder material.
The Motor Mounts have a PU with Shore A 50 which is actually pretty soft compared to the Shore D ratings.

Here a table with the ratings

durometerchart.png

I used the company "Sikaflex" for my motor mounts and went throught their catalogue and found "Sikaforce 301"
It has a Shore D rating of 73. So whole the Sikaflex 292 is at Shore A "Medium Soft" the "Sikaforce" puts you right to "Extra Hard".

With that resulting hardness it should be like a solid bearing. But i have no idea if it will actually stay in place during operation. We will see.
But both bearings were 30 Euro and the glue and gun were 40 Euro. I am curious and for me worth it. May be i can apply this later in some other bearings at the front suspension.

I ordered the glue and a cheap amazon glue gun and thought i might try.

This was my first time ever using a two component glue with a glue dispenser mixing the two components. The result is really not the prettiest but i am very satisfied so far.

For anyone going to try the same.

1. Clean the bearings. I used brake cleaner and actually a lot of dirt came out and loose bearing rubber came loose and i remove it. I did not use a brush or anything. Only sprayed it.
2. Tape all areas where you don´t want to have material.
3. Use gloves!
3. First time using the glue release some material from the glue to ensure correct mixing in the mixing nozzle.
4. Don´t be nervous :D It is actually really easy. Apply the nozzle, push some glue out on some cardbox and go for it.
5. It won´t be pretty unless you do it more often or you are a talent.

1705658029161.png

1705658088116.png

1705658193379.png

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
What a fucking pain in the ass.

If you change bearings on your subframe. Most are easy. When using a press and you exceed 4-6 tons. STOP. Just burn the fuckers.
We removed the last bearings today by just burning the rubber and then hammering the metal out. Four Bearing outer shells were just rotten and corroded to the frame. For us there was no way to press them out. We tried.
You can see that the outer bearing frame is just corroded into the frame.

Burning the rubber and then just hammering out the outer frame was the solution. Just hammer into the outer shell and it gets out. What a mess.

When you do that. Respray the frame later from avoiding new corrosion.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 18.49.23.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 18.49.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 18.49.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 18.49.25.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 18.49.25 (1).jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
What a fucking pain in the ass.

If you change bearings on your subframe. Most are easy. When using a press and you exceed 4-6 tons. STOP. Just burn the fuckers.
We removed the last bearings today by just burning the rubber and then hammering the metal out. Four Bearing outer shells were just rotten and corroded to the frame. For us there was no way to press them out. We tried.
You can see that the outer bearing frame is just corroded into the frame.

Burning the rubber and then just hammering out the outer frame was the solution. Just hammer into the outer shell and it gets out. What a mess.

When you do that. Respray the frame later from avoiding new corrosion.

View attachment 91233View attachment 91232View attachment 91231View attachment 91230View attachment 91229
Burnt rubber makes a fucking mess !!!. Touch it and it spreads to anything else you touch....with zero effort.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Those were the hardest ones to remove when I did mine, but they still pressed out eventually. I used one of the threaded puller with cups setups.

Reactions: JohnDaviz