Technical N54 Engine

cav212

Lurker
Jul 24, 2023
Hello,
Question for all. In this post Covid world and taking into consideration sick days illness, short staff, supply shortage, etc. What’s an acceptable length of time for any reputable engine builder for removing, building an engine, re-installing, braking in, and tuning an N54 engine?
Thanks for your input.

Haideezy

Oct 30, 2018
Ride
E90 335i
A shop…

There are a lot of factors that play into this acceptable time frame. Here are a few things that comes to mind:

-How busy is this shop? Are they starting on your vehicle right when you drop it off or will it be sitting around for a few days?
-Factor in the labor time it takes to pull the engine, disassemble, machine work, reassembly, reinstall.
-Do they do machine work in house? If they outsource the machine work it may be a few days to a week, it all depends on the workload of the machine shop.
-Availability of the parts needed for the build and its logistics. Typically you wait until machine work is done before ordering to be sure of exact specs.
-Is the Tuner the same person as the engine builder? Scheduling comes to mind.

cav212

Lurker
Jul 24, 2023
With all that said…, how about 13 and a half months? Asides from some new fuel pumps, sensor, and other couple of small things (couple of thousand bucks 2-3), the job’s been paid for 4 months into the 13 1/2 months. Perhaps my mistake. Definitely learned my lesson about not paying tule the job is done.

• Wow
Reactions: wheela

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
With all that said…, how about 13 and a half months? Asides from some new fuel pumps, sensor, and other couple of small things (couple of thousand bucks 2-3), the job’s been paid for 4 months into the 13 1/2 months. Perhaps my mistake. Definitely learned my lesson about not paying tule the job is done.
What country are you from ?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
B Rogue took 3 years or more to build a TT Gallardo so....1 year or so is totally realistic these days.
In all fairness, the job should NOT take that long. However, I still have a hard time getting some parts for customers cars.
The World literally went to shit.

cav212

Lurker
Jul 24, 2023
I realize that and I feel that I have been more than understanding with the whole situation. But, I was told 1 more week 6 weeks ago. Then, just over 2 weeks ago, I was told 2 more weeks. When I reached out again this week, I was told the same thing I was told 2 week’s ago.
Meanwhile, my car has been out in the weather for a year. You know what happens to vehicle that sits outside for a year…, from dry rotted tire to everything fading. Sorry, just extremely frustrated. My car has always been garage kept, in mint condition, with tons of upgrades, and more sitting in boxes for a year.
Thanks again for your input and putting up with me. 🙏🏻

cav212

Lurker
Jul 24, 2023
My car still at shop, so I don’t want to name anyone just yet. I am still hopeful that we’ll come up with a solution and I’ll get a great running car soon. That’s all I want.
Just needed to hear if I had unrealistic expectations. Thanks again.🙏🏻

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
9 to 12 months depending what they find and how hard it is to get the parts needed or pay and get one already built.

Also depends on what you want done like closed deck, stage ? head, bolt ons you would like.

There is no set time frame and every time they stop to reach out for parts your build go to the back of the que.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Ghassan strikes again?

Whatever shop this is they are fucking with you. It does not take 13.5+ months. I would walk the fuck in there and find out the EXACT condition of everything. My guess is your motor has not even been touched.

Go in person. A phone call is worthless. Also, save every document you can because you may end up in court.

NEVER pay in full. That is how you get ass fucked. Its like how you treat a contractor working on your house. Only fools pay in full. You also hold back 25% percent until the job is finished and you can inspect their work. 50% down. 25% at completion. Last 25% after inspection. The last 25% is likely their profit mind you, depending on the shop/contractor etc. Anyone who will not accept payments like this is going to fuck you over. If a shop/contractor is good and honest they know there will be zero issues at the end. You write up a contract and both sign and date.

Best of luck. Hopefully you don't have to tow your car out of there. Go in person.

Last edited:

r0nd3L

Private
Dec 2, 2019
Ride
135i
I realize that and I feel that I have been more than understanding with the whole situation. But, I was told 1 more week 6 weeks ago. Then, just over 2 weeks ago, I was told 2 more weeks. When I reached out again this week, I was told the same thing I was told 2 week’s ago.
Meanwhile, my car has been out in the weather for a year. You know what happens to vehicle that sits outside for a year…, from dry rotted tire to everything fading. Sorry, just extremely frustrated. My car has always been garage kept, in mint condition, with tons of upgrades, and more sitting in boxes for a year.
Thanks again for your input and putting up with me. 🙏🏻
Holy crap, they should be storing the vehicle inside, I would be furious.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Haideezy

Oct 30, 2018
Ride
E90 335i
My car still at shop, so I don’t want to name anyone just yet. I am still hopeful that we’ll come up with a solution and I’ll get a great running car soon. That’s all I want.
Just needed to hear if I had unrealistic expectations. Thanks again.🙏🏻

Have you stopped by the shop to see how much progress has been made and question why it's taking longer than it should?